Monday, February 05, 2007

who's a naughty boy? don't do it again!

"A British man yesterday pleaded guilty to molesting a Dubai Airport employee by slapping him on the buttocks - three times. The trial, which started yesterday, heard that the 30-year-old British visitor, AJ, who is charged with molestation and consuming alcohol"

This will be the FREE alcohol that the man was plied with on his Emirates flight would it?

It appears that alcohol consumption illegal in Dubai without a liquor license.

A work colleague of mine was jailed for 30 days for consumption only last year.

Yet they give the stuff away not only on flights into the UAE, but also to the fairer sex in just about every licensed establishment in Dubai.

Check out "Ladies Nights" in Time Out Dubai for your free booze sessions.

Just don't EVER put a foot, or indeed a hand out of place whilst you are in any way under the influence of alcohol in Dubai or the chances are you WILL be banged up.

The 7days story is highlighted to warn you of the dangers of consuming alcohol in Dubai without a liquor licence. A liquor license that is only available to residents.

AJ probably deserves punishment for smacking someone; be it on the arse or face, it's still pretty much assault; but whether he deserves to be charged with consuming alcohol is another matter all together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

By God Sake! I know of a doctor, a certain saukonen, who is Gail Clough's lover, who harassed a patient, but nothing happened to him! 7days didn't mention the fact! Though the poor lady filed a claim to Dubai Police...No slapping, please, only harassing and raping...if you're well known nobody cares...

Anonymous said...

Well, he's getting famous, I heard about this story...naughty guy!

Omni said...

Don't you hate people who travel to other countries and then behave like jerks?

LoneTraveler said...

Underground Dubai,

I am relatively new to Blogger, and not sure how the best way to exchange thoughts with people is, but I have read your blog quite a bit, and I thought you and/or your readers might have some valuable perspectives.

I am an American who is considering a job posting in Dubai. I have read as many blogs as I can to get a feel for what Dubai is like, but I thought I would ask you and your readers directly. There do seem to be some cultural and legal nuances, such as the circumstances described in this post, but it is hard to tell how big a deal things like that are.

So, I am curious how a Westerner (particularly an American who looks like an Iowa farm boy) might find life in Dubai. Is there any cultural tension? Should I be weary when trying to integrate socially? Is crime really as low as people say it is? etc. I am very considerate to other cultures (and very apolitical), but I was wondering how an average American might find daily life and interactions in Dubai.

I know those are wide open questions, but I am not sure exactly how to ask to get a general feel of life in Dubai for an American. I work in finance, and I have lived and worked in the US, Caribbean, and Singapore. Now considering Dubai, and trying to get some lifestyle/cultural perspectives.

Any comments from you and anyone else would be really great. (or suggestions on other blogs or message boards I should visit). Thanks for the time.